Thursday, December 11, 2008

In Preparation For My Portfolio Review.

So, you may be wondering, what the crap is she doing blogging if she has a portfolio review coming up?

For those of you who may not know what that is, it is where all the faculty members of the Graphic Design Department look at everything you've done so far and give you critiques...as in tear everything apart and tell you that you have a lot to improve on.

This lovely event that we designers lose about 150 hours of sleep a week for about a month before the event, happens to be taking place on the first reading day. And if you go to BYU, where they only give you 2 reading days (which one of them happens to be on a SATURDAY), you end up with NO reading days.

But that's ok.

What is not ok is people not knowing what we do or who we are. And what I mean by that is that we are GRAPHIC DESIGNERS. We DESIGN.

We are not:
graphicS designers
graphicS design ARTISTS
graphic ARTISTS

When potential clients call me one of the above or anything that is not GRAPHIC DESIGNER, I lose interest in them and when asked if I am interested in working for them, I kindly decline the offer.

So, if you're planning on hiring a GRAPHIC DESIGNER, be aware not to call them the wrong thing, because most likely, I'm not the only one who will kindly decline your offer.

No comments: